Lidocaine topical cream, also known as numbing cream, is used to treat pain, itching, soreness and discomfort of the skin or mucous membranes caused by certain conditions such as eczema, scratches, minor burns, insect bites and hemorrhoids.
The cream is a topical anesthetic (numbing medication). It works by preventing the transmissionof painful impulse from the skin to the brain.The main ingredient in numbing cream is 5 % Lidocaine, which is the highest percentage approved by medical authorities.
An overdose of the cream can cause fatal side effects. Don’t use Lidocaine-based numbing cream if your skin is sensitive and you are allergic to any ingredient present in the cream. Lidocaine is also not good for babies;avoid using the cream if you’re breastfeeding or pregnant (or consult a doctor before using it).
Use recommended amount of the medicine for numbing the skin and for pain relief. There are signs of infection or tissue damage in the affected area if you apply the cream more than therecommended amount. Contact your doctor or health care provider immediately if you feel any of these symptoms.
- Slow heart rate
- Loss of consciousness
Avoid using numbing cream oninjured skin area, it can cause infection.
Application of Lidocaine cream
Apply the numbing cream one hour before your scheduled procedure. The cream’s numbing effect will lastfor up to three hours. The dose of the cream is prescribed by the doctor or mentioned on the label. Don’t use it recklessly because the dose will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor’s instructionscarefully. Some tips to ensure the maximum effect of numbing cream –
- Wash and dry the affected area, applya thin layer (recommended, 1mm thick) of Lidocaine-based cream and gently rub the area until it’s evenly distributed.
- Wash your hands immediately after applying the cream or your hands could also get the numbing effect of the cream.
- The cream is for the external use only. Avoid its contact with eyes. If it accidently happens, wash it clean with fresh or saline water and protect until the numbness is gone.
- Don’t bandage the area or wrap the area where you’ve applied numbing cream, unless so directed by the doctor.
Side effects of Lidocaine
5 % dose of Lidocaine cream is safe but if you feel any awkward symptom seek emergency help as soon as possible. The common side effects of Lidocaine creams aredifficulty in breathing, swelling on face, lips, tongue or throat, nausea or vomiting, confusion, weakness, fainting, seizures or convulsions and ringing in the ears.
The reactions and allergies mainly appear in those people who have extremely sensitive skin or different disorders of skin. These reactions can happen after applying the cream on the skin.
These conditions should be managed by the conventional mean,without wasting any time, call your Doctor. Side effects and complications are more likely occur if you have certain medical condition or some taking some medication which could coincide with Lidocaine.It’s important thus to consult your doctor before applying numbing cream.
Important safety precautions after using Lidocaine cream
The lidocaine can have negative effect in combination with certain drugs. Plus, incorrect usage can lead to complication. Thus,
- Do not apply lidocaine when you have consumed alcohol. This can cause dizziness or lead to blurred vision
- Do not drive after applying numbing cream, you cannot be sure how it may affect your body
- If lidocaine is applied around the mouth or throat area, it can cause difficulty in swallowing. Avoid eating or drinking for a couple of hours in this case
- Lidocaine application causes numbness to the applied area. Do not rub, scratch or expose the treated area to extreme temperatures until numbness subsides.
Image Credits: Amazon.com